Monday, January 18, 2010

The thing about Ikea and Revolutionary Road..

Kate and Leo discuss the pro's and cons of Ikea bedroom storage (She likes the Elga series and he's a Pax man)


There is only one thing worse than going to Ikea alone and that is going with your partner.
Today, I witnessed first hand, not one, but 4 relationships hit the skids at Ikea in Brooklyn (two words I promise to never speak of again: Ikea and Brooklyn). I saw one couple go down even before they hit the store. She had misplaced the tickets to the water taxi (insert some comment about an over sized handbag) and he had to rush back to purchase new tickets and only just made it back in time. If he had been forced to wait another 40 minutes for the next boat, the lady with the big leather hand bag would've been flying solo this coming Valentines day for sure. Thank you Mr. Jobs and friends for the ipod, as while she was hanging onto her relationship, I was hanging onto my sanity.

I'm not ready for Ikea, which means, maybe I'm not quite ready for what Ikea means. You know, joint decision making, building a foundation, starting a story and sentence that starts with we not me. The wounds of "Revolutionary Road" are perhaps still too fresh and maybe this whole Ikea thing was too soon and I wasn't ready because Ikea is my Revolutionary Road.

When Kate hooks up with Leo at the beginning of the film, she never envisaged shopping at Ikea with him. She didn't flash forward to sofa choices and start smelling cheap candles and staring at curtain rods for an afternoon. She didn't ask for that. He was, after all, "just a guy who made her laugh at a party once" (ouch- totally using that one, cheers Kate)

I totally get it when the old guy at the end of the movie turns down his hearing aid as his wife, Kathy Bates, starts prattling on about the new tenants at 60 Revolutionary Road. My selective hearing aid (ipod) was on and activated today at Ikea.

The reality of Ikea scares me more than the fictional Revolutionary Road. What if he likes the Karlstad collection and I like Extorp series? Does that mean we will be incompatible for life? Maybe I could learn to love the Karlstad? It could totally work in a different color, perhaps the aforementioned teal. It could work. I could make it work.

I can't get this fffffing chair together!!! %^&*(()_+++ hell.





No comments:

Post a Comment